The Town of Weston is in Fairfield County, Connecticut. It has a population of about 10,000. It is almost all residential with a small commercial village which includes a grocery, dry cleaner, post office, coffee/café and liquor store. In the 1950’s the Town adopted a 2-acre zoning regulation for the whole Town. The Town is known for its excellent schools, beautiful open spaces and parks.
Form of Government
The Town of Weston operates under a Town Meeting form of government which includes the Board of Selectmen (BOS), Town Administrator and Board of Finance (BOF) which assist in preparing the town budget for the Town Meeting vote. The Board of Selectmen is comprised of 3 citizens with one of the members serving as First Selectperson who chairs the meetings. The Town Administrator reports to the First Selectperson who serves as the Chief Executive and Administrative Officer.
About the Town Manager Position
The Town Administrator shall be hired by, and shall be subject to dismissal by, the First Selectman, in both cases with the prior approval of the Board of Selectmen. The duties of the Town Administrator shall be to:
- Aid in recruiting and screening of personnel and make recommendations to the First Selectperson.
- Manage all Town employees.
- Assist in preparing the Annual Town Budget by gathering the necessary data and by compiling estimated budgets by the dates set forth in the Charter.
- Aid the First Selectperson in analyzing and reviewing programs, activities, and budgets and their short-term and long-term financial and cash flow implications.
- Satisfy reasonable request by officers, Boards and Commission to provide information.
- Carry out such other duties as the First Selectperson shall assign to the Town Administrator.
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Five years’ supervisory/management experience in municipal government or related experiences preferred. A Master’s degree and International City/County Management Association (ICMA) Credentialed Manager a plus. Alternative work experience will be reviewed, or any equivalent of experience, knowledge and education
- Knowledge, skills and abilities should include: good communications skills; supervisory skills; labor relations knowledge; human resources experience; ability to find, secure, and implement grants; excellent project management skills; budgeting experience; purchasing and risk management skills.
Compensation and Application Process
The Town of Weston offers a competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Town provides a generous benefits package which includes health, dental, life insurance and paid vacation and sick leave. Additionally, the Town provides a Defined Benefit Pension Plan thorough the State of Connecticut called CMERS. Relocation assistance is negotiable.
Weston is an AA/EOE Employer
To apply please submit your cover letter and resume to Ms. Frank. Position will remain open until filled; first screening date is October 18, 2023. Top candidates will be asked to complete a questionnaire, and possibly a zoom recorded interview for the Semi-finalist list to be provided to the new BOS in November.
Email: [email protected]