Organization: “Town of Middlefield, CT”
Town of Middlefield, CT
Announces the Recruitment of:
Highway/Public Works Foreman
The purposes of this position are to be responsible for the planning and organizing of the safe and efficient operation of light and heavy vehicles and power equipment on assigned projects or activities of a public services nature which may entail road and sidewalk construction and maintenance; storm water systems maintenance and construction; maintenance of town facility grounds; tree work and road side mowing, etc. An individual in this position is also expected to perform many different types of maintenance, mechanical and repair work and manual labor in addition to driving CDL vehicles. The Highway Forman is required to exercise judgment in administering and managing the Highway Department and is responsible for maintaining and improving upon the efficiency and effectiveness of all areas under his/her direction and control. Opportunity to become a Public Works Superintendent with training and good performance.
Reports to the First Selectman who is looking for a proactive member of the management team to take the department to the next level. Learn more about this charming community at their website: http://www.middlefieldct.org/about-our-town/
Essential Job Functions:
- Supervise, inspect, manage and plan all highway operations
- Assigns and trains staff.
- Prepares Department budget and monitor expenditures.
- Oversees the purchase of supplies, materials and equipment for Highway operations.
- Performs manual and machine assisted maintenance, repair and construction work of roads, sidewalks, curbs, storm water systems, catch basins and drainage ditches, etc.
- Manage snow storm response including plowing snow
- Operates large heavy equipment for such projects as catch basin repair or construction; storm water drainage repair and construction; digging ditches and laying pipe.
- Performs town facility grounds maintenances and construction.
- Is subject to call out to respond to emergencies after normal working hours.
- Oversee the maintenance of vehicles and equipment including performing basic vehicle mechanical work on heavy equipment and trucks.
- Assist with town wide events
- Performs tree trimming and removal of trees as needed
- Assists with preparing, maintaining and performing job site and work safety practices. Observes all OSHA requirements on work sites and in Highway Garage.
- Consistent on-site office and on-time attendance is essential for this position
Must have a High School Diploma or GED with over 7 years of construction and heavy vehicle driving experience in a municipal operation; or any equivalent combination of education, experience and training. Must have and maintain: Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class B with airbrakes endorsement; Tank Endorsement preferred; Must submit to CDL Drug testing regulations.
Salary & Benefits:
Salary Range is $66,000 to $76,000 depending upon qualifications and experience. A union position with great benefits including: CT Municipal Employees Retirement System (MERS) with minimal employee contribution; Comprehensive Medical Benefits (with vision coverage) through Connecticare H.S.A. with 6% contribution by employees; Life Insurance benefit of $20,000 at no cost to employee; Tuition Reimbursement encouraged for this position; uniform allowance; generous policy for vacation, sick, holiday and personal leave.
Salary & Benefits:
Open until filled with the first screening process to be on October 30, 2019. Mail or Email your resume and cover letter to the First Selectman
Edward P. Bailey, First Selectman
Town of Middlefield
393 Jackson Hill Road
PO Box 179
Middlefield, CT 06455