Located only two hours from New York and Boston off of interstate 84, Waterbury is a great location to live, work, learn and play. Waterbury, Connecticut, is a city that’s going places. The Waterbury Public School (WPS) system consists of 34 schools and programs which educate our 19,000 students. The 1700 professional staff and over 1000 support staff lead the next generation of emerging leaders, in their pursuit to find answers to critical questions and gain knowledge. The diversity of our students is our greatest asset and a source of enormous pride. Our district is highlighted by neighborhood schools and district wide Pre-K programs that support kindergarten preparedness. We are home to the State-of-the-Art Career Academy, a magnet School of Excellence, comprehensive high schools with rigorous academic offerings, intensive social and emotional support programs, and nationally recognized teachers.
Under the direction of the Superintendent of Schools, working very closely with the Chief Operating Officer, this position is responsible for the development and administration of personnel and labor relations in the Department of Education; provides leadership, direction and guidance for the strategic initiatives and day-to-day operations of Talent recruitment and development of certified and non-certified staff, personnel records and leave policies, collective bargaining and compliance with various state and federal rules and regulations.
- Supervises 10 staff members including: Talent & Professional Development Supervisor, Senior and HR Generalist, HR Assistants and administrative staff.
- Oversees and handles such issues as: unemployment compensation, affirmative action goals, training and development, investigation of complaints (discrimination, harassment, etc.), fair enforcement of leave policies, staff evaluations, performance evaluation for certified staff, recruitment etc.
- Provides leadership and support to management and their subordinates regarding their professional responsibilities, organizational develop, employee services and overall human resources strategic plans.
Ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in public or private personnel/human resources administration or service in education or public administration, including five (5) years in the supervision of a professional staff, experience in selection/recruitment, training, labor relations, and human resources, with a familiarity of affirmative action programs. Bachelor’s degree and considerable knowledge of Human Resources, Labor Relations, Industrial Relations, Personnel, Business Administration, Public Administration, Education Administration or related field required.
Compensation and Application Process
Open Competitive Examination for: Director of Personnel and Talent Management for Waterbury Public Schools – Salary Range $110,000-$130,000 – Open Until Sufficient Applications are Received.
- Excellent Fringe Benefits.
- To Apply you must complete an application which can be found on the website at:
- Home Page of Human Resources—Click on Director of Personnel for details & instructions http://www.waterburyct.org/content/9569/9605/9625/default.aspx
- Application can be found at bottom of Human Resources Home page or with this link
- Or visit Civil Service Office, Chase Municipal Building, 236 Grand St., 2nd Floor, Rm 202 Waterbury, CT 06702 for application and notice of position.
- First Screening process of Applications will be on March 8, 2019—Copies of Degree or Transcripts and applicable Certifications must be submitted with Application. Applications must be submitted via mail to office above or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 203-574-8087
- If you have questions about the position please contact our consultant—Ms. Randi Frank at email@example.com or 203-213-3722. See Profile here.
City of Waterbury is an Equal Opportunity Employer—E.O..E. M/F/H/V
EEOP Utilization Report available upon request