- Population = 110,000 +
- Salary Range =$ 110,000 to $ 140,000 (non-negotiable range)
- Three year contract for new Director
- City Employees = 1,275
- Board of Education Non-Civil Service Employees= 3,485
- Mayor was just elected for a 4 year term
The City of Waterbury has announced the opportunity for a candidate with a wide range of human resources experience to apply for their Director of Human Resources. This position reports to the Mayor and works with all senior management staff to plan, organize and administer the City’s human resources, labor relations, H.R.I.S and civil service system. Waterbury is growing, click here to see the video about the City’s Economic Development efforts which make it a great place to live, work, and play.
The position oversees a staff of 10-12 professionals and administrative staff. Major functions include: recruitment of all position in the City and non-certified positions for the Board of Education through a civil service process; Labor Negotiations of 14 union contracts plus all discipline and grievances through various steps up-to arbitration; administration of H.R.I.S (Lawson system); management and leadership of human resources department.
Sample of Essential Functions:
- Develop and recommend labor relations and human resources policies and procedures
- Implementation of broad range management and human resource goals and vision
- Plans for short and long term resources to meet human resource objectives
- Directs the HR Department through professional, technical and support staff
- Insure all policies and programs are administered in a fair and equitable manner for all
- Promotes staff training and development
- Provides advice on all human resource and labor relations to Mayor and senior staff
- Oversees the Civil Service process including testing and adherence to ruse set by the Civil Service Commission
- Oversees management compensation and performance evaluation system
- Administers and interprets labor (union) contracts and analyzes labor trends
- Serves as First or Second Chair for all collective bargaining agreements
- Administers all federal and state legal requirements such as unemployment, FMLA, ADA, and Affirmative Action
- Prepares and presents final contract settlements and interest arbitration awards to the Board of Alderman and other officials
- Investigates employee grievances and union complaints in an effort to resolve disputes and minimize litigation
- Prepares, presents and monitors annual budget for Human Resources Department
- Oversee and collaborate with H.R.I.S staff and vendor
Ten (10) years of progressively responsible professional human resources management and/or labor relations experience including experience in collective bargaining negotiations at the level of Chief Negotiator or Second Chair, plus five (5) years of supervisory experience. Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Labor Relations, Industrial Relations, Personnel, Business Administration, Public Administration or related field required.
Candidates without labor relations experience – union negotiation, grievance and arbitration experience will not be considered qualified. Therefore, candidates should highlight their experience in their application and/or resume indicating their experience in all areas listed above.
Candidates must complete the General Application as instructed on the City of Waterbury website. Also (very important), see official civil service announcement on website (listed above) for process and requirements.
Deadline for Applications with attached resume is December 18, 2015 -5pm (applications cannot be accepted after deadline) Applications will not be accepted at Civil Service Office
Candidates should attach resume with application and email (or mail) them to Consultant:
Ms. Randi Frank
Randi Frank Consulting, LLC
7 Promontory Drive
Wallingford, CT 06492
For additional details & requirements about the position contact Ms. Frank.
You can download a PDF version the full information here.